The Best Life is the Blessed Life
Sermon Notes – James River Church – 12-29-2013 – Pastor John Lindell
Psalm 112 – Praise the Lord ! How joyful are those who fear the Lord and delight in obeying his commands. Their children will be successful everywhere; an entire generation of godly people will be blessed. They themselves will be wealthy, and their good deeds will last forever. Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous. Good comes to those who lend money generously and conduct their business fairly. Such people will not be overcome by evil. Those who are righteous will be long remembered. They do not fear bad news; they confidently trust the Lord to care for them. They are confident and fearless and can face their foes triumphantly. They share freely and give generously to those in need. Their good deeds will be remembered forever. They will have influence and honor. The wicked will see this and be infuriated. They will grind their teeth in anger; they will slink away, their hopes thwarted. (Psalms 112:1-10 NLT)
- Looking towards 2014 – What you believe about God will impact you perception of the new year.
- Loving Kindness…the number one attribute of God
- Psalm 65:11 You crown the year with a bountiful harvest; even the hard pathways overflow with abundance. (Psalms 65:11 NLT)
- Though God’s heart wants to bless people, not everybody is blessed.
- Not everybody is blessed in the same way.
- Why do some know more of God’s blessing than others?…Psalm 112.
- 112 is a companion psalm to 111.
- God is not a respector of persons regarding his blessing. He wants all to be blessed equally.
7 Characteristics of a Blessed Persons Life:
- Start by praising God. Psalm 112 starts “Praise The Lord!”
- Don’t wait for the victory to your battle to praise. Praise God now so that you will obtain the victory you need.
- Joshua and the battle of Jericho.
- Psalm 100:4 – Enter his gates with thanksgiving; go into his courts with praise. Give thanks to him and praise his name. (Psalms 100:4 NLT)
1. He Fears The Lord. – Not a priority – The priority. Do you honor God. Blessed is the man who fears The Lord. They are walking in step with God. It is not a matter of bare minimum.
- It’s not about negotiation. It’s about whole-hearted willingness. It is not a duty. It is a delight.
- Deut. 30:19-20 “Today I have given you the choice between life and death, between blessings and curses. Now I call on heaven and earth to witness the choice you make. Oh, that you would choose life, so that you and your descendants might live! You can make this choice by loving the Lord your God, obeying him, and committing yourself firmly to him. This is the key to your life. And if you love and obey the Lord, you will live long in the land the Lord swore to give your ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.” (Deuteronomy 30:19, 20 NLT)
- Everything else is a distant second.
2. He is Fascinated with God’s Word.
- Psalm 112:1b – They delight in OBEYING God’s commandments.
- Joshua 1:8 – Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do. (Joshua 1:8 NLT) – That’s why I’ve started the Devotional Accountability Project.
3. His Family is blessed. – Regarding raising Children: #1 Priority – Make sure they are have relationship with God. Everything else will fall into place.
- It’s not about raising preachers, but young people/men,women of God.
- It all begins with you/me. Our childrens future depends on what I do today and tomorrow. What legacy do you want your children to inherit?
4. His Finances are blessed. – 112:3 – They themselves will be wealthy. Their good deeds will last forever.
- 1 Tim 6:10 – Love of money is the root of evil
- James 1:11 – Pursuit of money is the issue.
- Psalm 35:27b-c – But give great joy to those who came to my defense. Let them continually say, “Great is the Lord, who delights in blessing his servant with peace!” (Psalms 35:27 NLT)
- God’s blessing wants to extend to every area of our lives.
- God’s blessing is not for ourselves…It is so that we might be a blessing to others.
- Don’t hold onto what you have…use it to bless others.
- 2 Cor 9:6-9 – Remember this—a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop. But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop. You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.” And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others. (2 Corinthians 9:6-8 NLT)
- The Point is…sowing and reaping…what you sow you reap.
- It is the law of the harvest.
- Prov 22:9 – Blessed are those who are generous, because they feed the poor. (Proverbs 22:9 NLT)
- Isaiah 32:8 – But generous people plan to do what is generous, and they stand firm in their generosity. (Isaiah 32:8 NLT)
- Generosity is a lifestyle, not a seasonal mood or a periodic effort for a tax return.
5. His Fearful Situations are Blessed
- Psalm 112:4a Light shines in the darkness for the godly. (Psalms 112:4a NLT)
- Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. (Psalms 46:1 NLT)
- Psalm 23:4 Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me. (Psalms 23:4 NLT)
- Psalm 16:7-8 I will bless the Lord who guides me; even at night my heart instructs me. I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me. (Psalms 16:7, 8 NLT)
- Psalm 112:7 – He is not afraid of bad news. God will work it out
- Isaiah 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you! (Isaiah 26:3 NLT)
6. His Future is blessed
- Psalm 112:8 They are confident and fearless and can face their foes triumphantly. (Psalms 112:8 NLT)
- God wants to bless us…How we approach this statement will determine how we live this year.
7. His Foes will see God’s Blessing
- Psalm 112:10 – The wicked will see this and be infuriated. They will grind their teeth in anger; they will slink away, their hopes thwarted. (Psalms 112:10 NLT)
- Isaiah 54:17 – But in that coming day no weapon turned against you will succeed. You will silence every voice raised up to accuse you. These benefits are enjoyed by the servants of the Lord; their vindication will come from me. I, the Lord, have spoken! (Isaiah 54:17 NLT)
- Notice that the author isn’t named.
- Who is the blessed man?
- It could be you…If you follow the Word of the Lord.