Act Like Men: Part 2 – The Truth About Men –
Watermark Community Church – Pastor Todd Wagner
Video Link: http://www.watermark.org/media/the-truth-about-men-confusion-crisis-and-the-confidence-to-meet-the-challenge/2006/
1 Corinthians 16:13 – Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. (1 Corinthians 16:13 ESV)
- The Problem: Men Today Are in a State of Confusion
1. Some of it has to do with society.
- “Years ago, manhood was an opportunity for achievement, and now it is a problem to be overcome.” – Garrison Keillor
- “Show me the man you honor, and I will know what kind of man you are for it shows me what your ideal of manhood is and what kind of man you long to be.” – Thomas Carlyle (Scottish Historian, 1795-1881)
- The example, or lack of example, by one’s father dramatically impacts a son’s growth, identity, and enculturation.
- “Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “Dear Lord, I pray for wisdom to understand my man, love to forgive him and patience for his moods. Because Lord, if I pray for strength and I get it…I’ll beat him to death. Amen” – ANONYMOUS.
- Exodus 32:21-27 – And Moses said to Aaron, “What did this people do to you that you have brought such a great sin upon them?” And Aaron said, “Let not the anger of my lord burn hot. You know the people, that they are set on evil. For they said to me, ‘Make us gods who shall go before us. As for this Moses, the man who brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we do not know what has become of him.’ So I said to them, ‘Let any who have gold take it off.’ So they gave it to me, and I threw it into the fire, and out came this calf.” And when Moses saw that the people had broken loose (for Aaron had let them break loose, to the derision of their enemies), then Moses stood in the gate of the camp and said, “Who is on the Lord ’s side? Come to me.” And all the sons of Levi gathered around him. And he said to them, “Thus says the Lord God of Israel, ‘Put your sword on your side each of you, and go to and fro from gate to gate throughout the camp, and each of you kill his brother and his companion and his neighbor.’” (Exodus 32:21-27 ESV)
- The Solution: Men Have to Regain Their Ability to Live Confident Lives
- The reality of an absent or abusive Dad
- The reality of an overbearing or dominant Mom
- The reality of a depraved heart
- The reality of a lack of understanding
- The reality of the effect of isolation
- The reality of owning our own destiny
- John 10:10 – The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. (John 10:10 ESV)
- Genesis 1:26 – Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” (Genesis 1:26 ESV)
- GOD’S INTENTION FOR MEN: To bear his image; to pursue justice; to exemplify good; to live without regard to self; to be glorious; to exhibit kindness; to extend grace; to offer forgiveness; to remain reliable; to establish security; to embody strength; to provide protection; to define integrity; to show mercy; to lead with love.
- 2 Timothy 2:1-7 – You then, my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus, and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. Share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him. An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. It is the hard-working farmer who ought to have the first share of the crops. Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything. Remember Jesus Christ… (2 Timothy 2:1-7 ESV)