If you didn’t make it to the James River Church Men’s Bible Study – at 6am – don’t worry. We will post the videos that are watched and discussed here. This is a fantastic set of videos from the book of Daniel. Enjoy!
1. What is Wisdom?
Proverbs 9:10 The beginning of wisdom is the fear of the Lord; the knowledge of the holy one is understanding. (Proverbs 9:10 CEB)
- Wisdom is living in awe of God.
- Godly wisdom calls us to walk in integrity.
- Take what we’ve heard, apply it and share it.
2. Where do you find Wisdom?
- God wants us to be wise
James 1:5 – But anyone who needs wisdom should ask God, whose very nature is to give to everyone without a second thought, without keeping score. Wisdom will certainly be given to those who ask. (James 1:5 CEB)
Proverbs 1:20 – Wisdom shouts in the street; in the public square she raises her voice. Above the noisy crowd, she calls out. At the entrances of the city gates, she has her say: “How long will you clueless people love your naïveté, mockers hold their mocking dear, and fools hate knowledge? You should respond when I correct you. Look, I’ll pour out my spirit on you. I’ll reveal my words to you. (Proverbs 1:20-23 CEB)
Eph 5 – Understand what God’s will is. The steps of a righteous man are ordered of The Lord.
Proverbs 8:1 – Doesn’t Wisdom cry out and Understanding shout? Atop the heights along the path, at the crossroads she takes her stand. By the gate before the city, at the entrances she shouts: I cry out to you, people; my voice goes out to all of humanity. Understand skill, you who are naive. Take this to heart, you fools. (Proverbs 8:1-5 CEB)
God fights for our attention.
Proverbs 2:2 – Turn your ear toward wisdom, and stretch your mind toward understanding. Call out for insight, and cry aloud for understanding. Seek it like silver; search for it like hidden treasure. Then you will understand the fear of the Lord, and discover the knowledge of God. The Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. (Proverbs 2:2-6 CEB)
- Get around wise people
- Ask them “What’s up?”
3. Why do we need Wisdom?
A) Wisdom builds the house…not rules.
Proverbs 24:3 – By wisdom a house is built; by understanding it is established. (Proverbs 24:3 CEB)
Proverbs 10:21 – The lips of the righteous nourish many people, but fools who lack sense will die. (Proverbs 10:21 CEB)
B) Wisdom protects us
Proverbs 4:6 – Don’t abandon her, and she will guard you. Love her, and she will protect you. The beginning of wisdom: Get wisdom! Get understanding before anything else. Highly esteem her, and she will exalt you. She will honor you if you embrace her. (Proverbs 4:6-8 CEB)
Proverbs 2:12 – Wisdom will rescue you from the evil path, from people who twist their words. Wisdom will rescue you from the mysterious woman, from the foreign woman with her slick words. (Proverbs 2:12, 16 CEB)
C) Wisdom will give you confidence and contentment
Proverns 3:21 – My son, don’t let them slip from your eyes; hold on to sound judgment and discretion. (Proverbs 3:21 CEB)
Proverbs 3:23 – Then you will walk safely on your path, and your foot won’t stumble. (Proverbs 3:23 CEB)
Proverbs 19:23 – The fear of the Lord leads to life; then one rests content, untouched by harm. (Proverbs 19:23 CEB)
D) Wisdom brings honor and financial blessing
Proverbs 3:4 – Then you will find favor and approval in the eyes of God and humanity. (Proverbs 3:4 CEB)
Proverbs 3:16 – In her right hand is a long life; in her left are wealth and honor. (Proverbs 3:16 CEB)
Proverbs 3:35 – The wise gain respect, but fools receive shame. (Proverbs 3:35 CEB)
E) Wisdom is not just for ourselves – We are blessed so that we might bless.
2 Chronicles 1:10-11 – Give me wisdom and knowledge so I can lead this people, because no one can govern this great people of yours without your help.” God said to Solomon, “Since this is what you wish, and because you’ve asked for wisdom and knowledge to govern my people over whom I’ve made you king—rather than asking for wealth, riches, fame, victory over those who hate you, or even a long life— your request for wisdom and knowledge is granted. But I will also give you wealth, riches, and fame beyond that of any king before you or after you.” (2 Chronicles 1:10-12 CEB)
- Wisdom is given so that we might share it with others.
- Wisdom is not to be hoarded.
Act Like Men Part 5 – Pastor Todd Wagner – Watermark Community Church
1 Cor 16:13-14 – Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love. (1 Corinthians 16:13, 14 ESV)
Even if the circumstance of our home was perfect, the condition of our heart is not.
- We have all been wounded by a common father and mother.
- My heritage of dysfunction is a product of my heart more than my home.
- We are separated from God and deserving of judgment.
- We are bent toward rebellion and bothered by rebuke.
- We are corrupted in our core to the point that no human agency can provide a cure.
- We are alienated from God and subject to futility. We are enslaved to sin and sentanced to death.
- The wound of depravity demands that we dare not trust in self alone.
Act Like Men: Part 3 – Absent & Abusive Dads: Why is even Harder to Become a Good Man Than it is to Be One
Sermon Notes – Watermark Community Church – Todd Wagner
Video Link: http://www.watermark.org/media/absent-and-abusive-dads-why-it-is-even-harder-to-become-a-good-man-than-it-is-to-be-one/2019/
1 Corinthians 16:13,14 ESV “Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love.”
The Problem: Men Today Are In a State Of Confusion
- The reality of life in this world is that we all have been disappointed or wounded in ways that challenge (not necessarily control) our ability to live strong, healthy and productive lives.
The Solution: Men have to Regain Their Ability to Live Confident Lives
- A confident man is not full of himself, his is full of faith and lives in truth. A confident man addresses the realities of his past and the responsibilities of the present.
- It takes courage to face the wounds of our past and confidence to believe we can heal them. It takes nothing to use them as excuses.
- THERE IS NO WOUND AS DANGEROUS OF DEEP IN A MAN AS THE WOUND BROUGHT ABOUT BY AN ABSENT OR ABUSIVE FATHER. Continue reading