If you didn’t make it to the James River Church Men’s Bible Study – at 6am – don’t worry. We will post the videos that are watched and discussed here. This is a fantastic set of videos from the book of Daniel. Enjoy!
- It’s amazing how your countenance changes when you discover what your enemy thinks about you.
- When we understand where stand, who’s on our team, and how the enemy quakes when we come out in Christ.
- Whether we believe it or not…Our enemy knows.
- In the end we win.
- Don’t live without the knowledge that we are victorious.
Ex. 14 – The people are released from Egypt and days into their journey.
Ex. 14:13-14 – But Moses told the people, “Don’t be afraid. Just stand still and watch the LORD rescue you today. The Egyptians you see today will never be seen again. The LORD himself will fight for you. Just stay calm.” (Exodus 14:13-14 NLT)
- The Lord will do the fighting for you…if you just stay calm!!!
- We have the promise of victory.
- There is no manipulation.
- Victory has already been given to you. – Just stay calm.
Moses gives 4 Directives for Victory (Assured by Yahweh “I Am”)
1. Be Fearless (Do not be afraid)
2. Be Still
3. Be Watchful
4. Be Quiet/calm
Discipleships 6 Inconvenient Truths:
- Disciple = Follower – Anyone following is a disciple
- We often confuse leadership with discipleship.
- Followers are not always leaders.
1. The ultimate mark of a disciple is obedience to what we know.
- It doesn’t mean extrovert
- It means faith to trust and follow.
- There should not be a split between evangelism and discipleship.
- A disciple learns to obey. Followers are those who keep “my” commandments.
- Obedience doesn’t always equal passion, excitement, or extreme personality.
- Don’t “ADD” to the definition of disciple.
- Everything beyond obedience is frosting.
2. Spiritual Growth is seldom a linear process.
- People don’t grow in an organized fashion.
- Our spiritual growth is often more of a “meandering path” than a stair step.
- People learn when life gets thrown at them more than when they should.
- Create the environment for organic growth. Don’t force it.
- Growth Moments:
- When you Need to Know Moments
- When you Need to Grow moments
- Keep people with Christ/The Bible and Keep people with other Christians – So that they will have the tools they need when life strikes deep.
3. No two personal relationships are ever alike.
- Relations deal with individual people.
- Work with people within their uniqueness.
- Don’t make people into who you are.
- Religion is one size fits all. Just do it this way.
- The reason you want your groups to be sticky is so that you/we can fulfill the great commission. Not just because you want to get bigger.
- It’s not about church growth, but the great commisson
- In today’s world there is no brand loyalty.
- If people don’t like what they hear – they will go elsewhere.
- People leave easily
- There is loyalty to: SIGNIFICANT FRIENDSHIPS.
- The Mission is SIGNIFICANT FRIENDSHIPS FOR CHRIST.
- RELATIONSHIPS OVER CONTENT. (Although content is important.)
- If you don’t get this…you’ve failed. Know the names of the people over the title of the message.
- It’s the friendships that will keep people coming when they hear something they don’t like.
Small Group Myths:
1. Assimilation is not retention.
- Assimilation is about getting new people into something.
- Retention is for everyone, and getting them to stay for the long haul.
- A revolving door with scew your statistics.
- Retention is greater than assimilation.
2. A Sticky Group must be a healthy group.
- You have to take care of your leaders.
- The leaders are more important than the sheep.
- Make sure the leaders stay healthy. – and are able to effectively deal with the EGR’s without burning out.
- This is why groups take breaks during the summer. (To maintain the leaders sanity).
3. Friendliness is not Connection.
- Being friendly is not connecting.
- People are like legos – with connecting dots.
- The moment your connectors are full you will be friendly, but not connect.
- Meet new people – Invite them over for a barbeque. (Take the next step…)
- When your connectors are not full you will connect.
- Don’t be friendly – Connect.
- How can you connect with people – and not just be friendly.
- New groups for new people – Becuase their connectors are eqully empty.
- SEE PEOPLE AS LEGOS AND ASK – ARE THEY CONNECTED.
- IF YOU MEET PEOPLE – DON’T THEN IGNORE THEM. DON’T LEAD THEM ON…
- People grow while in relationship
- Connecting to your life group in the church
- Big Picture information – What’s needed…
10 Church Culture Committments:
- Things to do that will make a big difference – attitude
1. Maintain a breathless Awe over what God is doing in the Church.
- What God is doing is SUPER-Natural.
- God sometimes, for his own pleasure, does something beyond human ability.
- Huge Baptism #’s (JRC)
- Awesome camp numbers (realife)
- Recognize that we are a part of a mission and an amazing “work” that God is doing in the life of the church.
- Champion the Church
2. Maintain a gratitude for the People around us.
- Thank God & the people that are involved for being involved.
- Don’t take the leadership and membership for granted.
- Thankfulness creates joy-in everyone.
3. Serve The Lord with Gladness.
- It should be fun to serve The Lord.SZ
- A joyful environment creates connections.
- Without Joy life and Life Groups go from “Get to” -to- “Have to.”
- Sometimes one simply has to choose to rejoice.
4. Be prepared.
- Don’t wing it.
- Present excellence to God, so that God can move spontaneously.
- Look at the materials ahead of time
- Get to know the curriculum questions.
- Pray over the questions – meeting – members – personal issues.
- Don’t get so confident that you “go through the motions.
- Delegate tasks within the group
- Be aware of what’s going on in the lives of the people in the group (birthdays, etc).
5. Maintain an Expectancy Regarding what God will do.
- There are no throw-away Sundays…
- On any given Sunday God WILL do amazing things.
- How can we Pray for you ( ________) this week?
- What is God doing in your ( _________’s ) life this week?
- Lead people to see what God is doing and stirring.
6. Maintain a culture that Values people.
- Be aware of the people around you (situational awareness)
- Don’t get wrapped up in your own world and concerns.
- We want to be a church that LOVES people & is KNOW FOR LOVING PEOPLE.
- OUTSIDE PEOPLE EXPECT A BIG-CHURCH TO NOT CARE – DON’T FULFILL THEIR EXPECTATIONS.
7. Use the Inclusive WE, rather than the devisive “THEY.”
- Use Inclusive language – build community rather than schisms.
- Don’t seperate yourself from what is happening.
8. Don’t WHINE OR GOSSIP.
- Don’t sow discord. Build Unity.
- Make a committment to be “the last to know.”
- Make it uncomfortable for people to share gospel.
- Ask “Why did someone feel comfortable sharing “gossip” with you?”
- If people have a problem (Mt 18) go to the person with whom you have an issue.
- Don’t let the gossip “of Satan” create divisive attitudes.
- When people begin to complain say (I think “they” are doing an awesome job.)
- If it’s a problem – Tell people to GO THAT DEPARTMENTAL LEADER!!!
9. Let’s be Sure to Encourage people.
- T.S. Elliot – Most people’s lives are lived in quiet desperation.
- An encouraging word can change people’s live.
- Build a hope in people’s lives that “God Know’s and God Cares.”
- Prov 18:21 – Let your words nurish. Words have healing potential.
10. Let’s be know for What We Are For – Rather that What We Are Against.
- Shoot straight
- Maintain a clear and clean conscience
- Champion the Good News of the Gospel.
- Let’s engage people by letting people know WHAT WE ARE FOR.
1. What is Wisdom?
Proverbs 9:10 The beginning of wisdom is the fear of the Lord; the knowledge of the holy one is understanding. (Proverbs 9:10 CEB)
- Wisdom is living in awe of God.
- Godly wisdom calls us to walk in integrity.
- Take what we’ve heard, apply it and share it.
2. Where do you find Wisdom?
- God wants us to be wise
James 1:5 – But anyone who needs wisdom should ask God, whose very nature is to give to everyone without a second thought, without keeping score. Wisdom will certainly be given to those who ask. (James 1:5 CEB)
Proverbs 1:20 – Wisdom shouts in the street; in the public square she raises her voice. Above the noisy crowd, she calls out. At the entrances of the city gates, she has her say: “How long will you clueless people love your naïveté, mockers hold their mocking dear, and fools hate knowledge? You should respond when I correct you. Look, I’ll pour out my spirit on you. I’ll reveal my words to you. (Proverbs 1:20-23 CEB)
Eph 5 – Understand what God’s will is. The steps of a righteous man are ordered of The Lord.
Proverbs 8:1 – Doesn’t Wisdom cry out and Understanding shout? Atop the heights along the path, at the crossroads she takes her stand. By the gate before the city, at the entrances she shouts: I cry out to you, people; my voice goes out to all of humanity. Understand skill, you who are naive. Take this to heart, you fools. (Proverbs 8:1-5 CEB)
God fights for our attention.
Proverbs 2:2 – Turn your ear toward wisdom, and stretch your mind toward understanding. Call out for insight, and cry aloud for understanding. Seek it like silver; search for it like hidden treasure. Then you will understand the fear of the Lord, and discover the knowledge of God. The Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. (Proverbs 2:2-6 CEB)
- Get around wise people
- Ask them “What’s up?”
3. Why do we need Wisdom?
A) Wisdom builds the house…not rules.
Proverbs 24:3 – By wisdom a house is built; by understanding it is established. (Proverbs 24:3 CEB)
Proverbs 10:21 – The lips of the righteous nourish many people, but fools who lack sense will die. (Proverbs 10:21 CEB)
B) Wisdom protects us
Proverbs 4:6 – Don’t abandon her, and she will guard you. Love her, and she will protect you. The beginning of wisdom: Get wisdom! Get understanding before anything else. Highly esteem her, and she will exalt you. She will honor you if you embrace her. (Proverbs 4:6-8 CEB)
Proverbs 2:12 – Wisdom will rescue you from the evil path, from people who twist their words. Wisdom will rescue you from the mysterious woman, from the foreign woman with her slick words. (Proverbs 2:12, 16 CEB)
C) Wisdom will give you confidence and contentment
Proverns 3:21 – My son, don’t let them slip from your eyes; hold on to sound judgment and discretion. (Proverbs 3:21 CEB)
Proverbs 3:23 – Then you will walk safely on your path, and your foot won’t stumble. (Proverbs 3:23 CEB)
Proverbs 19:23 – The fear of the Lord leads to life; then one rests content, untouched by harm. (Proverbs 19:23 CEB)
D) Wisdom brings honor and financial blessing
Proverbs 3:4 – Then you will find favor and approval in the eyes of God and humanity. (Proverbs 3:4 CEB)
Proverbs 3:16 – In her right hand is a long life; in her left are wealth and honor. (Proverbs 3:16 CEB)
Proverbs 3:35 – The wise gain respect, but fools receive shame. (Proverbs 3:35 CEB)
E) Wisdom is not just for ourselves – We are blessed so that we might bless.
2 Chronicles 1:10-11 – Give me wisdom and knowledge so I can lead this people, because no one can govern this great people of yours without your help.” God said to Solomon, “Since this is what you wish, and because you’ve asked for wisdom and knowledge to govern my people over whom I’ve made you king—rather than asking for wealth, riches, fame, victory over those who hate you, or even a long life— your request for wisdom and knowledge is granted. But I will also give you wealth, riches, and fame beyond that of any king before you or after you.” (2 Chronicles 1:10-12 CEB)
- Wisdom is given so that we might share it with others.
- Wisdom is not to be hoarded.