Discipleships 6 Inconvenient Truths:
- Disciple = Follower – Anyone following is a disciple
- We often confuse leadership with discipleship.
- Followers are not always leaders.
1. The ultimate mark of a disciple is obedience to what we know.
- It doesn’t mean extrovert
- It means faith to trust and follow.
- There should not be a split between evangelism and discipleship.
- A disciple learns to obey. Followers are those who keep “my” commandments.
- Obedience doesn’t always equal passion, excitement, or extreme personality.
- Don’t “ADD” to the definition of disciple.
- Everything beyond obedience is frosting.
2. Spiritual Growth is seldom a linear process.
- People don’t grow in an organized fashion.
- Our spiritual growth is often more of a “meandering path” than a stair step.
- People learn when life gets thrown at them more than when they should.
- Create the environment for organic growth. Don’t force it.
- Growth Moments:
- When you Need to Know Moments
- When you Need to Grow moments
- Keep people with Christ/The Bible and Keep people with other Christians – So that they will have the tools they need when life strikes deep.
3. No two personal relationships are ever alike.
- Relations deal with individual people.
- Work with people within their uniqueness.
- Don’t make people into who you are.
- Religion is one size fits all. Just do it this way.
- People grow while in relationship
- Connecting to your life group in the church
- Big Picture information – What’s needed…
10 Church Culture Committments:
- Things to do that will make a big difference – attitude
1. Maintain a breathless Awe over what God is doing in the Church.
- What God is doing is SUPER-Natural.
- God sometimes, for his own pleasure, does something beyond human ability.
- Huge Baptism #’s (JRC)
- Awesome camp numbers (realife)
- Recognize that we are a part of a mission and an amazing “work” that God is doing in the life of the church.
- Champion the Church
2. Maintain a gratitude for the People around us.
- Thank God & the people that are involved for being involved.
- Don’t take the leadership and membership for granted.
- Thankfulness creates joy-in everyone.
3. Serve The Lord with Gladness.
- It should be fun to serve The Lord.SZ
- A joyful environment creates connections.
- Without Joy life and Life Groups go from “Get to” -to- “Have to.”
- Sometimes one simply has to choose to rejoice.
4. Be prepared.
- Don’t wing it.
- Present excellence to God, so that God can move spontaneously.
- Look at the materials ahead of time
- Get to know the curriculum questions.
- Pray over the questions – meeting – members – personal issues.
- Don’t get so confident that you “go through the motions.
- Delegate tasks within the group
- Be aware of what’s going on in the lives of the people in the group (birthdays, etc).
5. Maintain an Expectancy Regarding what God will do.
- There are no throw-away Sundays…
- On any given Sunday God WILL do amazing things.
- How can we Pray for you ( ________) this week?
- What is God doing in your ( _________’s ) life this week?
- Lead people to see what God is doing and stirring.
6. Maintain a culture that Values people.
- Be aware of the people around you (situational awareness)
- Don’t get wrapped up in your own world and concerns.
- We want to be a church that LOVES people & is KNOW FOR LOVING PEOPLE.
- OUTSIDE PEOPLE EXPECT A BIG-CHURCH TO NOT CARE – DON’T FULFILL THEIR EXPECTATIONS.
7. Use the Inclusive WE, rather than the devisive “THEY.”
- Use Inclusive language – build community rather than schisms.
- Don’t seperate yourself from what is happening.
8. Don’t WHINE OR GOSSIP.
- Don’t sow discord. Build Unity.
- Make a committment to be “the last to know.”
- Make it uncomfortable for people to share gospel.
- Ask “Why did someone feel comfortable sharing “gossip” with you?”
- If people have a problem (Mt 18) go to the person with whom you have an issue.
- Don’t let the gossip “of Satan” create divisive attitudes.
- When people begin to complain say (I think “they” are doing an awesome job.)
- If it’s a problem – Tell people to GO THAT DEPARTMENTAL LEADER!!!
9. Let’s be Sure to Encourage people.
- T.S. Elliot – Most people’s lives are lived in quiet desperation.
- An encouraging word can change people’s live.
- Build a hope in people’s lives that “God Know’s and God Cares.”
- Prov 18:21 – Let your words nurish. Words have healing potential.
10. Let’s be know for What We Are For – Rather that What We Are Against.
- Shoot straight
- Maintain a clear and clean conscience
- Champion the Good News of the Gospel.
- Let’s engage people by letting people know WHAT WE ARE FOR.