Grace: Glory in God’s Freedom
Romans 5: 1-5 – Therefore, since we have been made righteous through his faithfulness combined with our faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. We have access by faith into this grace in which we stand through him, and we boast in the hope of God’s glory. But not only that! We even take pride in our problems, because we know that trouble produces endurance, endurance produces character, and character produces hope. This hope doesn’t put us to shame, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. (Romans 5:1-5 CEB)
- Because Adam did this, we were wrecked
- Because Jesus did this, all is set right.
Romans 7:1-7 – Brothers and sisters, I’m talking to you as people who know the Law. Don’t you know that the Law has power over someone only as long as he or she lives? A married woman is united with her husband under the Law while he is alive. But if her husband dies, she is released from the Law concerning her husband. So then, if she lives with another man while her husband is alive, she’s committing adultery. But if her husband dies, she’s free from the Law, so she won’t be committing adultery if she marries someone else. Therefore, my brothers and sisters, you also died with respect to the Law through the body of Christ, so that you could be united with someone else. You are united with the one who was raised from the dead so that we can bear fruit for God. When we were self-centered, the sinful passions aroused through the Law were at work in all the parts of our body, so that we bore fruit for death. But now we have been released from the Law. We have died with respect to the thing that controlled us, so that we can be slaves in the new life under the Spirit, not in the old life under the written Law. So what are we going to say? That the Law is sin? Absolutely not! But I wouldn’t have known sin except through the Law. I wouldn’t have known the desire for what others have if the Law had not said, Don’t desire to take what others have. (Romans 7:1-7 CEB)
- Because of the body and blood of Christ the weight of the law is cut away from us.
We are made to die to the law – through Christ. We are no longer “in Adam,” We are now “in Christ.”
- We are now released from the law.
Galatians 3:1-5 – You irrational Galatians! Who put a spell on you? Jesus Christ was put on display as crucified before your eyes! I just want to know this from you: Did you receive the Spirit by doing the works of the Law or by believing what you heard? Are you so irrational? After you started with the Spirit, are you now finishing up with your own human effort? Did you experience so much for nothing? I wonder if it really was for nothing. So does the one providing you with the Spirit and working miracles among you do this by you doing the works of the Law or by you believing what you heard? (Galatians 3:1-5 CEB)
- It’s a new approach.
- Accept your righteousness by faith through grace-not law.
- Rom 7 – We are new joined to the Spirit
Gal 3:21 – So, is the Law against the promises of God? Absolutely not! If a Law had been given that was able to give life, then righteousness would in fact have come from the Law. (Galatians 3:21 CEB)
Romans 8:1 – So now there isn’t any condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and death. (Romans 8:1, 2 CEB)
- We don’t pray to prove something
- We don’t read The Bible to prove something
- We do these things to learn, to grow, to enjoy Christ.
- Don’t fear acceptance, we are hidden in Christ (“The son that I love.” Isaac & Jacob)
- We recieved the blessing of God because we are hidden in God’s love.
- We don’t have to try to deceive anyone.
Rom 5:14-15 – But death ruled from Adam until Moses, even over those who didn’t sin in the same way Adam did—Adam was a type of the one who was coming. But the free gift of Christ isn’t like Adam’s failure. If many people died through what one person did wrong, God’s grace is multiplied even more for many people with the gift—of the one person Jesus Christ—that comes through grace. (Romans 5:14, 15 CEB)
- To escape “Adam” one must become Born-Again.
- All our righteousness is as filthy rags – (if you are still in Adam.)
Romans 6:1,2,6 – So what are we going to say? Should we continue sinning so grace will multiply? Absolutely not! All of us died to sin. How can we still live in it? This is what we know: the person that we used to be was crucified with him in order to get rid of the corpse that had been controlled by sin. That way we wouldn’t be slaves to sin anymore, (Romans 6:1, 2, 6 CEB)
- – So what are we going to say?
Should we continue sinning so grace will multiply? Absolutely not! All of us died to sin.
- How can we still live in it? Or don’t you know that all who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? If we were united together in a death like his, we will also be united together in a resurrection like his.
This is what we know: the person that we used to be was crucified with him in order to get rid of the corpse that had been controlled by sin.
- That way we wouldn’t be slaves to sin anymore,
- because a person who has died has been freed from sin’s power.
- But if we died with Christ, we have faith that we will also live with him.
- We know that Christ has been raised from the dead and he will never die again.
- Death no longer has power over him.
- He died to sin once and for all with his death, but he lives for God with his life.
- In the same way, you also should: consider yourselves dead to sin but alive for God in Christ Jesus.
- The blood covers our guilt OT-Exodus. and NT.
- There are some things to know and some things to do.
- Know the truth and the truth shall set you free.
- There is no elite group that has won the battle w/sin…
- “All of us struggle with sin…All of us died to sin.”
- Union with Christ is the key.
- His triumph makes us winners.
- We are instantly transformed from losers into winners.
- Our old self has been crucified. God says it-we need to believe it.
- God dealt the death blow to our old nature.
Believers believe – dynamic belief, not static or stagnant. We walk by faith.
- Our old identities are put to death, we get a new identity – a new name.
- Change your watch. It’s a new time zone. It’s a new reality!
- Accept the new time zone.
- The sooner you accept it, the sooner you’ll adapt to it.
- Don’t let sin control your body
- Our body is mortal – it’s not yet saved.
- Don’t let sin control your “members/instruments” Who is plucking your strings?
3. Make good choices….
- It may not be the quickest route, but it is the wisest.
4. Now that you have been set free from sin, you have become slaves of righteousness. (Romans 6:18 CEB)
- Born again = a new identity. A fresh start.
- Birth = something that wasn’t there before.
- When we stand before God he will ask?
- Was there any temptation that was to great?
- When we live in Christ…This is the question: Are we living inside of Christ’s identity?
- Are we appropriating his power?
- If we confess our sins…he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins…
1 John 1:9 – But if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from everything we’ve done wrong. (1 John 1:9 CEB)